Beyond writing for children and adults, I produce and programme literary festivals and events celebrating and centring narratives of women, children and young people, Black writers and artists, African and diaspora literature, queerness, disability arts and wellness + pleasure activism. Everything I create starts from the place of radical imagination and joy.
I facilitate creative writing workshops inspired by Black and Arab women’s writing, African literature and culture, wellness and well-being. Some of this work ties directly to my children’s books.
I work with organisations and institutions to create programmes that are accessible and open to all, and mindful of producing content representative of the immediate community affected by the project’s subject matter and focus.
- Producer for Africa Writes festival, 2017 – Present, the British Library. Programmes for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. www.africawrites.org
- Associate Producer (Libraries Out Loud & SPINE Festival), 2020 – Present, various local authority libraries across 16 London boroughs. www.applesandsnakes.org
- Producer for Tottenham Literature Festival, 2019 – Present, Bernie Grant Arts Centre. Programmes for 2019 and 2020. www.berniegrantcentre.co.uk
- Project Manager for Shameless! Festival Activism Against Sexual Violence, Jan – Apr 2020, The WOW Foundation and Birkbeck’s SHaME Research Hub. Announcement here. www.thewowfoundation.com
- Creative Producer for ‘Toni Morrison: A Celebration‘ at WOW – Women of the World Festival 2020, Jan – Mar 2020, Queen Elizabeth Hall at the Southbank Centre. www.southbankcentre.co.uk
- Web Content Editor, 2017 – 2018, the Caine Prize for African Writing. www.caineprize.com
- Co-founder of Afrikult., 2014 – 2019, various locations across the UK and Africa. Programmed cultural and literary event series. Curated and facilitated literature and creative writing workshops for schools and adults. www.afrikult.com